There are many subfields that represent Psychological sciences. Each of them is a potential area of specialization and opens doors to opportunities.
Many students find psychology attractive as a field of study or a career due to their interest in human service, as reflected in such specialties as clinical, school, or forensic psychology. Deep specialization in this area can lead to many career opportunities. Listing some of them below!
- Clinical psychologists foster psychological health, sometimes specializing in particular disorders.
- Cognitive and perceptual psychologists study language, perception, memory, problem solving, and other thought processes.
- Community psychologists deal with broader problems of mental health in social and community environments, often with a focus on prevention.
- Counseling psychologists (those who perform psychotherapy) promote adjustment to life changes or transitions similarly to clinical psychology, but usually work with adjustment issues,
rather than severe disorders.
- Developmental psychologists study age-related changes in behavioral, biological, social, cognitive areas, often specializing in a particular group (e.g., infancy, early childhood, adolescence, adulthood).
- Educational psychologists study the human learning process, often developing methods to improve teaching and testing.
- Engineering psychologists apply psychological science to design of human–machine systems and technology.
- Environmental psychologists work in interdisciplinary ways to study relations between people and their surroundings, whether natural, social, human-built, or technological.
- Evolutionary psychologists investigate the relations of psychological characteristics to modern evolutionary theory.
- Experimental psychologists have wide-ranging interests in scientific study of behavioral processes (e.g., learning, perception, memory, language) in both human and
- Forensic psychologists study relations between psychology and law and apply psychological principles in such areas as therapy and assessment within the legal community.
- Health psychologists apply psychological science to promote good health and prevent disease.
When we focus on problems, we will have more problems. When we focus on possibilities, we will have more opportunities. When we focus on psychologists, we will observe them everywhere… in all professions!