Butter pound cake as it is more widely known is a perfect recipe. It is like vanilla ice cream. You can show your creativity and make different dishes from it. Lemon Pound Cake, Orange Pound cake, Pound cake with whipped cream and strawberries.. the list goes on… sharing the basic recipe that has worked for me..!
|All purpose flour||3 cups|
|Granulated sugar||2 cups|
|Butter (at room temperature)||2 sticks (1 cup)|
|Lemon||1 medium size|
|Baking soda||1/2 tsp|
|Vanilla essence||1 tsp|
|For the syrup (Only for Lemon pound cake)|
|Granulated sugar||1/4 cup|
|Lemon||1 medium size|
|For the Glaze (Only for Lemon pound cake)|
|Powdered sugar||1/2 cup|
*** Eggs – You can replace each egg with a ripe banana, or a ripe pear. Taste will be a bit different!
- In a mixing bowl, sift and mix the all purpose flour, baking soda and salt
- Beat the butter and sugar to a fluffy consistency
- Add the vanilla essence to it
- Add one egg at a time and continue beating the mixture
- If you are using banana/pear, puree them separately and add them now
- Zest the lemon with a grater and store the juice separately
- Mix the lemon zest, lemon juice into the mixture in Step 4
- Now add the dry ingredients and milk slowly into the mixture while continuing to mix
- Remember to scrape the sides
- Grease the pan (9×9 or 8×8 or bundt pan, or mini cake pan) with butter
- Bake at 350o for 55 minutes
- Check with a toothpick if the cake is done in the center, else add another 10-15 minutes depending on your oven time and variations you are trying
If you are happy with the pound cake for an evening snack – you can stop here, cut the slices and serve
For Lemon glaze:
There are two steps to this
- Moist inside: The inside of the cake needs to be moist. For this, mix the “For the syrup” ingredients (Heat the water, lemon juice and granulated sugar till sugar melts and then cool it down). Cut the cake into two parts. Slowly pour the mixture evenly on the inside of the cake on both the halves. Wait for 10 minutes and then put them back together (like it was before cutting it)
- Glaze outside: The outside of the cake needs to have the lemon glaze. For this, mix the “For the Glaze” ingredients (powdered sugar and lemon juice). Pour the glaze mixture on top of the cake on all sides
Now, cut it and serve. Tasty lemon pound cake 🙂
Variations that we have tried:
- Using orange zest instead of lemon, with orange juice – tastes yum!
- To make it fluffy, using 6 eggs instead of 3
- Making it in mini cake pans instead of one big pound cake – Easy for school snacks 🙂
- In a small serving cup, cube some pieces of pound cake, add some berries and whipped cream!
Enjoy baking it and hope you like it as much as we do!