Got an opportunity to learn to make mixture from my mother few weeks back!
Mixture (Trail mix)
Prep time: 1 hour
- 1 cup Besan (Gram flour)
- 1/2 cup Cashews – broken into halves
- 1/2 cup Peanuts
- 1/2 cup Dalia daal
- 20 pieces Curry leaves
- 1/2 cup Poha
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder (adjust based on your spice tolerance level)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 cups oil to Deep fry (Vegetable or Canola oil preferred)
- 1/3 cup water
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and when hot, start frying all the ingredients.
- Deep fry all the ingredients #2 to #6one by one and put it in a larger vessel.
- Mix the Besan (gram flour) with water, add the turmeric powder & a pinch of salt to taste preparing a mixture.
- Run the mixture through the ladle shown below. When it falls in the oil, it would fall like small round dots. Boondi preparation is in progress.
- When the oil stops bubbling, the Boondi is ready.
- Mix it with all other ingredients
- Add the Chilli powder & salt
After it cools down, store it in an air-tight container and enjoy the savory snack!
- While one person can completely do it by themselves, it is fun to do it together with someone.
- Make a list of all the ingredients, ladle and collate them in your kitchen before starting.
- Add ready-made Boondi (available in grocery stores) to reduce the preparation time.
If you get to prepare it, share your experience!