Surya (Sun God), our “Sun” in our solar system is known by twelve special names.
Learning these names and their inherent meaning
- Mitra – One who is a Friend
- Ravi – Shining one
- Surya – One with the beautiful light
- Bhanu – One who is brilliant
- Khaga – One who moves in the sky
- Pushan – One who nourishes
- Hiranyagarbha – Golden centered one
- Mareechi – The Lord of Dawn
- Aditya – One who is the son of Aditi
- Savitr – The beneficent one
- Arka – One filled with energy, the essence
- Bhaskar – One who leads us to enlightenment
Reciting these names while performing Surya namaskara (Sun propitiation) is common practice.