Frequent leg swelling and edema are common for some! Sharing a few home remedies that helps provide relief!
What is edema?
Edema is the water retention caused by weakening of the kidneys. It can be caused due to poor diet, poor food combining, pregnancy, PMS, food allergies or as a side effect of a serious health condition.
Some home remedies that can help towards quick relief! If your swelling or edema continues for weeks, please check with your physician.
- Soak your feet in warm water for 30-45 minutes. Add a drop of lavender oil to the water to calm yourself down.
- Check your diet and avoid eating fried food
- Check your diet and avoid eating salt for 2-3 meals
- Apply a cold pack on your stomach & back
- Increase fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet (especially for the next 2-3 meals)
- Boil a handful of cilantro leaves in two cups of water, drain it & drink it.
In the long run…
- Try to add a brisk 30 minute walk every alternate day (at least) into your regular exercise routine
- Set a goal to reduce 10% of your weight and find yourself a buddy (online buddy works as well) to accomplish your goal
- Consciously increase your water intake during the day
- Consciously reduce your salt intake (including eating processed or canned food – as it contains excess salt as a preservative)
- Try to cultivate a habit to bend and massage your legs and feet twice a day (Applying oils / moisturizer works as well)
- Learning to let go gracefully helps!
Good resource to understand if you have edema and when to take it seriously with a few treatment options https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/12564-edema