While there are many types of home remedies, sharing Infusion based remedies that are prevalently used across cultures.
An infusion is both the process of, and the result of, extracting flavors from food into a liquid. This is usually done by soaking the food in the liquid for a short or long period of time. The liquid is typically water (hot or cold). Sometimes alcohol, oil or vinegar are used as well.
Common example of Infusion
The most common example of an infusion you are likely to encounter in your daily life is your morning cup of coffee or tea.
- Chamomile tea helps reduce anxiety
- Peppermint tea is effective in fighting bad breath
- Hibiscus tea aids in reducing high blood pressure
- Pinch of turmeric in hot milk is effective to fight phlegm
- Pregnant women in the final weeks before delivery drink Raspberry tea to eliminate false alarms
- Arrowroot helps improve digestion
- Warm salt water used for gargling works well for sore throats and early morning routines
- Saline water as IV (Intravenous) is also an infusion, but given through our veins at hospitals
Process of preparation
One tsp of key herb / ingredient is usually infused with hot water to extract the flavor.
Pour boiling water in it and set it aside.
General rule of thumb
- If you are using dried flowers / soft leaves (Darjeeling tea) – leave it for 3 minutes before draining it and drinking.
- If you are using seeds and leaves – leave it for 5 minutes before draining and drinking.
- If you are using hard seeds (like cardamom seeds), roots (like ginger) or tree bark (like cinnamon) – leaving it for over 10 minutes works.
proportions for adults children
Drinking these as regular beverages is common in some cultures, however when you are using it as a home remedy for a specific condition (cough/cold/sore throat etc.), using it as below helps!
- For Adults – 1 cup two or three times a day, for 2-3 days
- For children – 1/3 to 1/2 cup two times a day for one or max two days
As with any medicine, home remedies for specific conditions would also be time-bound (specific number of days, times and then to be stopped).
Home remedies work best when we observe, identify and cure it at the onset! For chronic / prolonged issues, while there might be temporary relief by following these remedies, it helps to understand the root cause and support with proper nutritious diet!
Being able to enjoy a cup of beverage quietly is truly a privilege!
Stay safe & healthy!